Back in the ancient days, knowing cars was a guy thing but now that the times have changed, the fairer sex, is, too allowed to know about cars. They are allowed to be mechanics, change their own car tyre, and know when their car’s engine runs the risk of overheating when the radiator is malfunctioning.
But if you go on the road and do a survey, you will discover that most women don’t know which cars they are driving or which car classification they belong to. Before you go holding this over some woman’s head, be informed that there are guys who don’t have a clue too.
There is a percentage of people who are obsessed with cars just as others love sports especially football. So imagine what happens when they get friends who cannot speak the car language; it’s like finding yourself among people speaking a language you are not familiar with, total strangers. I feel for guys with non-sports fan girlfriends.
Cars are cool, can be an accessory, are fun to drive and get you from point A to point B. You can use a car win over that babe who is playing hard to get, impress your friends and be happy with yourself for achieving something. Then again, no one likes clueless people, we all want literate friends, colleagues, and neighbours, and we want to be able to discuss any topic with just anyone. I don’t anyone who appreciates the hassle of compartmentalizing the people in yourcircles, knowing that when you discuss a certain topic, you need to meet up with person A and for topic x you have to meet up with person B.
Therefore we all need to acquire knowledge, you don’t have to be an expert, you just have to gain enough insight to be able to talk about every topic comfortably. Read, and not only about cars but things like politics, sports, literature, fashion magazines, yes I said it. Even for you guys, this comes in handy when you need to buy a gift (no woman wants a dress/ pair of shoes with “Made in China”, we live for designers).
With that said, let’s begin your Car 101 first lecture;
Who owns which car brand?
- BMW—Mini Cooper, Rolls Royce
- Fiat—–Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Dodge, Ferrari, Jeep, Lancia, Maserati, Ram and SRT
- Ford Motor Company—Lincoln and a small stake in Mazda
- General Motors —- Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and GMC. GM owns a controlling interest in Opel and Vauxhall in Europe and Holden in Australia. (The U.S. Treasury Department is in the process of selling offthe remaining GM stock holdings.)
- Honda owns—–Acura.
- Hyundai owns—-Kia.
- Tata Motors (India) owns—– Jaguar and Land Rover.
- Mazda mostly independently owned (Ford has small stake)
Mitsubishi is independently owned.
- Daimler AG owns—–Mercedes-Benz and Smart.
- Nissan owns——Infiniti. (Nissan, in turn, is owned by Renault.)
- Saab is owned by National Electric Vehicle Sweden (NEVS).
- Subaru——Owned by Fuji Heavy Industries with Toyota a minority partner.
- Tesla——Toyota is a minority partner. Partnership with Daimler AG.
- Toyota Motor Company owns——Lexus, Scion, Daihatsu and Hino Motors, with a stake in Fuji Industries (Subaru’s parent company) and Isuzu.
Volkswagen owns—–Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, and overseas-brands SEAT and Skoda.
- Volvo is owned by Chinese-automaker Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, aka Geely.
(Ps, You can read about the different car classifications, don’t be so clueless when someone mentions, station wagons vs saloon cars)